Wednesday, March 23, 2011


Psalm 25:1-3, 16-21

1 To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul;
2 in you I trust, O my God. Do not let me be put to shame,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
3 No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame, but they
   will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse.

Someone once said a deliciously joyful thing in the middle of a church service that is the most clearly truthful expression of this verse. "If we feel dirty, then we will act dirty but, if we feel clean, then we will be clean."

This quote is the perfect expression of two powerful truths King David walked in that expressed our ability to not only not feel shame but he showed us the way we can walk in the face of threats from our enemies. These truths are hope or confidence in who God says He is and who He says we are and a complete and total trust in who God is that helps me to walk with my will completely surrendered to His Will.

The verses below, prove that this worldview was living and active in David's life and were consistently a part of his prayer life before God.

16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.
17 The troubles of my heart have multiplied; free me from my
     anguish.
18 Look upon my affliction and my distress and take away all my
     sins.
19 See how my enemies have increased and how fiercely they hate
     me!
20 Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I
     take refuge in you.
21 May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in
     you.

Even in the times of trouble when David's soul was troubled by every manner of loneliness of soul and trouble of heart, David's trust in the character of God was strong and his confidence in God was sure. His circumstances didn't always line up, the Cave of Adullum isn't the easiest of places, but He still put His trust in God and cried out to God for justice against his adversaries.

David took refuge in God and he knew the basis for his character and integrity was in God. Because of this, David reason for hope, confidence, and a simple trust in God that came from the place of intimacy he had with God.

No comments: